Moi Girls’ High School – Eldoret has a long history dating back to 1928. It was first established then as a European Primary School to cater for the children of the white settlers in the then White Highlands. The primary school was later renamed Highlands Primary School.
In the 1930’s, the school was moved across the Sosiani river to what is now Hill School. A teacher training college was started later in the 1930’s but it did not successfully take off. The need for a girls’ high school for the white settlers in Eastern Africa saw the founding of the present school. It was opened in 1954 with the name New Girls’ High School. The school was later renamed The Highlands School.
Most of the school buildings were put up between 1952 and 1957. However, the oldest structures accommodating the Music and French departments were constructed in the early 1930’s.
The Highlands School triumphed both in academic and sports in the 1950’s and 1960’s.
After Kenya’s attainment of independence and self rule in 1963 and 1964 respectively, the school experienced a decline in number of students because the settlers began relocating to other countries. So In 1965, the first African students were admitted to the school through the government policy of integration. New members of the Board of Governors that were appointed included the first Africans who in turn elected Hon. D. T. arap Moi as the school board chairman. The school had him as the chairman of the board since then till 2007 when he formally retired.
In 1978, the school had its name changed from ‘The Highlands School’ to ‘Moi Girls’ High School – Eldoret’. This was done in honour of the long serving board chairman who had then risen to become the president of the Republic of Kenya that same year.
Moi Girls’ High School – Eldoret is a national girls’ boarding school managed by the school’s Board of Governors. It is a Christian non-denominational school providing the secondary cycle of the 8-4-4 system of education.
To Be The Premier National School For Girls.
To provide high quality education, nurture talent and innovation and to develop the moral and spiritual well-being of each student in preparation for a life of service.
P. O. Box 140, 30100 Eldoret.